Wednesday, 18 March 2015

Match Preview : Barcelona v Man City / Bor Dortmd v Juventus

Barcelona v Man City
Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini called on his team to deliver in Barcelona as he again asserted confidence in his position.
Pellegrini has become noticeably more bullish in recent weeks as pressure and speculation over his future have increased.

The Chilean is under considerable scrutiny with his side faltering in their Barclays Premier League title defence and seemingly needing to overturn a deficit in Barcelona to salvage their season.
City go to the Nou Camp on Wednesday for the second leg of their Champions League last-16 tie trailing 2-1 after defeat to the Catalan giants at the Etihad Stadium three weeks ago.
Pellegrini was inevitably asked about his future as he met media on the eve of the match but he brushed off the questions and tried to rouse his players.
The 61-year-old said: "First of all I respect all opinions but I don't think my seat is in danger. But even if it was I wouldn't do anything differently, I would do the same thing and focus and concentrate on the game.
"I want to say there's no such strange atmosphere at Manchester City. We're second in the Premier League, still playing strong and are going to fight to prove it tomorrow.
"It is a good opportunity for our team and the only way to prove it is to beat one of the biggest teams in Europe and we have that chance tomorrow."
City were beaten by Barca at the same stage last season, losing both legs in a 4-1 aggregate defeat. City had a player sent off in both those matches, as they did when the sides met last month.
And the Catalan giants have sent an ominous warning to the reigning English champions, with playmaker Andres Iniesta saying they will be going all out to finish the job in emphatic fashion.
''We will have to go out there and play in a very comprehensive manner. We need to have lots of ball possession so they suffer, so they have to follow the ball."
Barca boss Luis Enrique played down the significance of their recent form against City and stressed that they will have to be on form if they are to extend the hoodoo to four matches.
The 44-year-old former Barcelona and Real Madrid player said: ''What happened last season has no repercussions. This season we have had a good first leg but with only one game you won't go through to the next round.
''We know we have to have a very good second leg to be capable of getting the better of our rival again.''
 
 Bor Dortmd v Juventus
Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp is counting on the Westfalenstadion to make the difference when his side host Juventus on Wednesday night.
Trailing 2-1 from the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie, Klopp says the imposing venue could prove to be his side's key weapon as they look to oust the Serie A leaders and join Bundesliga colleagues Bayern Munich in Friday's quarter-final draw.
"This stadium is extraordinary," he told UEFA.com. "It's really the coolest thing about this club.
"I have been here a while now, and still every time you enter the ground you get goosebumps.
"A special event needs a special venue to be truly special and that's definitely what our stadium is. Hopefully also on Wednesday."
Dortmund defeated Real Madrid 2-0 at home in the quarter-finals last season, but that did not prove to be enough having gone down 3-0 in Spain.
This time around, their deficit is not so great, but the Yellow and Blacks coach expects Juve to be even more difficult to break down.
"If things go well for us, then it's going to be exciting for a long time, but I don't think it's very likely that we will shoot them down right at the start," Klopp said.
"Juve are a results machine. They are going to play for the result like they did at their place and it's going to be up to us to create a spectacle, but that's not number one on our priority list."
According to Klopp, Juve are "probably the most experienced side in the competition", even if they have disappointed in the Champions League in their last two campaigns.
"They've won practically everything domestically in the past few years," he said. "They have so much self-confidence, it's incredible.
"Italian sides have it in their blood to play for a result and that's what makes them such uncomfortable opponents.
"But this is football and this gives me hope that there may be something in it for us."
Juve's hopes of completing the job in Westphalia were dealt a blow with the news that Andrea Pirlo has not recovered in time from the injury he picked up during the first leg, and he misses the trip to Dortmund.Andrea Barzagli is fit, though, having made his return from a long injury absence in recent weeks, and he can take his place alongside Leonardo Bonucci and Giorgio Chiellini in Juve's three-man back line.
Paul Pogba should also be fit for a game which has assumed even greater importance for the Bianconeri following Monday night's Serie A results.
With Roma going down at home to Sampdoria, Juve look well set to lift the league title for a fourth year in a row, meaning they can now focus all of their efforts on Wednesday night's all-or-nothing tie.
"We're going to need one goal," said coach Massimiliano Allegri. "But it would be better if we get two."
Carlos Tevez and Alvaro Morata are his chosen attack for Wednesday's game, with the latter having scored the winner against Palermo at the weekend after replacing Fernando Llorente

No comments:

Post a Comment